Shortcuts for Windows 8
With the GA of Windows 8 just around the corner, I started to put together an article of tips and tricks. However, then I found this great post over on the Go Dev Mental student blog written by my colleague Susan Ibach on all the keyboard shortcuts she could find. I’m not too proud to beg, borrow and steal when it’s appropriate, so instead of me creating something net new, here is Susan’s post with in all it’s shortcut glory.
My favourites? <Windows> + C to bring up the charms and <Windows> + I for the settings panel.
What are yours?
Moving between Metro and Desktop
Brings up the Metro start screen. You can start typing to search for an app, just like the Win7 start menu.
- <Windows> + <B>
Go to the Desktop from the Metro Start Screen
- <Windows> + <D>
Brings you to Windows desktop from the Metro Screen
- <Windows> + < . >
- <Windows> + <Shift> + < . >
Switching between applications
- <Windows> + <Tab>
Opens the Metro application switcher menu, switches between applications.
- <Windows> + <J>
Switches focus between snapped Metro applications.
- <ALT> + <F4>
Close an application
- <Windows> + <R>
To bring up the run window from the desktop, so you can type in an application name to run
- <CTRL> + <+>
- <CTRL> + <->
- or hold down <CTRL> and use Mouse Wheel to zoom in and out
Displaying App & Charms Bar
- <Windows> + <C>
Brings up the Charms menu, where you can search, share, and change settings.
- <Windows> + <Z>
Opens the App Bar for the current Metro application.
All the other shortcuts I could find!
- <Windows> + E – Launch Windows Explorer with Computer view displayed.
- <Windows> + F – Brings up the Metro File search screen.
- <Windows> + H – Opens the Metro Share panel.
- <Windows> + I – Opens the Settings panel, where you can change settings for the current app, change volume, wireless networks, shut down, or adjust the brightness.
- <Windows> + K – Opens the Devices panel (for connecting to a projector or some other device)
- <Windows> + L – Lock PC and return to Lock screen.
- <Windows> + M – Minimize all Windows on the desktop
- <Windows> + O – Locks device orientation.
- <Windows> + P – Choose between available displays.
- <Windows> + Q – Brings up the Metro App Search screen.
- <Windows> + R – Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and display the Run box.
- <Windows> + U – Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the Ease of Access Center.
- <Windows> + V – Cycles through toasts.
- <Windows> + W – Brings up the Metro Settings search screen.
- <Windows> + X – Launch Start Menu.
- <Windows> + Y – Temporarily peek at the desktop.
- <Windows> + Page Up / Down – Moves tiles to the left / right.
- <Windows> + , (comma) – Aero Peek at the desktop.