What is the Azure Marketplace?
The Azure Marketplace is your online store for thousands of certified, open source, community applications & developer services all easily deployable to Azure in just a few clicks.
You will find Virtual Machines ranging from bare OS’s like Windows Server & numerous Linux distros all the way to fully deployed solutions from Barracuda, Hortonworks, Bitnami and many more. You’ll also find Developer Services such as SendGrid, New Relic & Mongo Lab. Web & Api applications including WordPress, Django, Umbraco just to name a few.
Microsoft, partners & community members upload templates (called ARM or Azure Resource Manager templates) and select a pricing model:
- BYOL Model: Bring-your-own-license. You obtain outside of the Azure Marketplace the right to access or use the offering.
- Free: Free SKU. Customers are not charged Azure Marketplace fees for use of the offering.
- Free Software Trial (Try it now): Full-featured version of the offer that is promotionally free for a limited period of time. Upon expiration of the trial period, customers will automatically be charged based on standard rates for use of the offering.
- Usage-Based: You are charged or billed based on the extent of your use of the offering. For Virtual Machines Images, you are charged an hourly Azure Marketplace fee. For Data Services, Developer services, and APIs, you are charged per unit of measurement as defined by the offering.
- Monthly Fee: You are charged or billed a fixed monthly fee for a subscription to the offering (from date of subscription start for that particular plan).
You simply find what you want to deploy to your Azure subscription and follow the steps.
There are various security solutions in the Azure Marketplace. For example, if you need Web Security or Network Security check out
Barracuda which has solutions ranging from Anti-Spam & Firewalls that can detect & block SQL injections, Cross-Site Scripting, Malware uploads and much more.
If you need anti-virus/anti-malware protection including the ability to identify and remove malicious software, detect & prevent intrusions, log inspections, file integrity monitoring and more check out Trend Micro.
Check out more security solutions in the Azure Marketplace.
Using git for source control but need private repositories? Perhaps you want something that also facilitates code reviews, issue tracking, documentation and more? Check out GitLabs by Bitnami.
Check out more devops solutions in the Azure Marketplace.
Not finding the data solutions you need directly in Azure, there are plenty of other options from our partners and the community including MySQL Cloudera, Hortonworks, Couchbase, mongoDB and so many more.
Check out more data solutions in the Azure Marketplace.
Starting with a bare VM might be just what you need, but if you want to skip the steps of having to install certain software/application stacks you can get a jumpstart by using one of the many VM images in the marketplace. BitNami has over 80+ application and stack images in the Azure Marketplace including Wordpress, Ruby, Node.js and many more.
Follow me, @marc_gagne on Twitter.