My Top Twenty Free SharePoint Farm Troubleshooting/Tuning Tools
Going beyond the out of the box tools (like PowerShell, STSAdm, PSConfig, NETSH, Developer Dashboard, SQL Profiler, etc.), here is a list of the tools that I keep in my toolbox for troubleshooting and fine-tuning SharePoint farms.
- ULS Viewer – Makes scouring through ULS logs a bit easier on weary eyes.
- SNAP tool - Allows you to see which .net exceptions are being thrown. It doesn’t make any memory dumps but it shows exceptions in real-time. It could have been called “the exception monitor” if that name weren't already taken.
- DebugDiag 2.0 - http://debugdiag.com - DebugDiag 1.1 is something I'd stay away from but DebugDiag 1.2 has been great! DebugDiag 2.0 was released in October 2013. I use it all the time for getting hang dumps, crash dumps, exception dumps, and appreciate it's own dump analysis templates.
- Delegconfig v1 and Delegconfig v2 Beta. I like having both versions when troubleshooting Kerberos related problems. They're not always easy to get working but usually I can get one or the other to work. And when they work, they're awesome.
- Fiddler2 - for seeing under the hood of Internet Explorer
- Logparser 2.2 – for examining large IIS files in particular
- Process Monitor – to know which files and registry keys are being accessed by various processes.
- Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool – for creating Perfmon templates and for analyzing perfmon captures
- SharePoint Feature Administration and Clean-up Tool
- Netmon 3.x + NMParsers + SharePoint Parsers
- System.net Tracing – to find out what those web services are hearing and saying? Works in SP2007 and SP2010. Just make sure you get the right web.config file(s).
- SETH – SharePoint Engineer Troubleshooting Helper – provided by Microsoft Support. Checks for more than two dozen of the most common problems and potential problems.
=======some advanced tools=====================
13. Debugging Tools for Windows(Windbg.exe)
A. PSSCOR2.dll for asp.net 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 debugging in windbg.exe
B. PSSCOR4.dll for asp.net 4.0 debugging in windbg.exe
C. SharePointExt.dll for SharePoint debugging in windbg.exe
14. iDNA/TTTrace.exe – for tracing any process - provided by Microsoft support
15. PSSDIAG – for SQL Server tracing - provided by Microsoft Support
What are some other good, free tools you recommend? Surely I missed a few.