BizTalk Server 2006 R3
A number of you (my customers) have asked about the support of BizTalk Server 2006 R2 and the 2008 wave of products (Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio). Most of us expected a service pack release of some sort to update BizTalk to support these platforms; however, it looks like the work involved was substantial and as a result, Steven Martin has announced BizTalk Server 2006 R3 to support these platforms as well as a number of new features. We should see a CTP sometime later this year, with the release taking place in the first half of 2009.
Some of the new features in R3:
- Support for Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, and Visual Studio 2008
- New web service registry capabilities with support for UDDI (Universal Description Discovery and Integration) version 3.0
- Enhanced service enablement of applications (through new and enhanced adapters for LOB applications, databases, and legacy/host systems)
- Enhanced service enablement of “edge” devices through BizTalk RFID Mobile
- Enhanced interoperability and connectivity support for B2B protocols (like SWIFT, EDI, etc)
- SOA patterns and best practices guidance to assist our customer’s implementations
For customers who purchased BizTalk Server 2006 R2 under SA or EA, you'll get the upgrade free of charge.
Technorati tags: BizTalk