10 ways to get better gas mileage
The last couple days I have started driving differently after reading an article on msn about Get 50 mpg -- in your own car. The article provides advice for wring out the last little bit of distance from your tank of gas by following 10 tips from hypermilers (the art of wringing every ounce of fuel efficiency).
- Brake sparingly
- To idle is to sin
- Speed kills
- Avoid the big chill (cars are more efficient when they are hot)
- Beware of drag
- Lose weight (take unused stuff out of the trunk and back seat)
- Pay attention to load
- Be not a hare (the best mpg is had at relatively low rpm levels)
- Setup for success (max tire pressure, use synthetic oil, regular tune-ups)
- Drive the speed limit or slightly slower on the freeway
Off topic for this blog? Yep, but I love ideas that have the potential to change behavior--these ideas certianly did for me. In today's climate change world, using less gas seems like a good thing. Besides, can't we all use a little extra cash given today's gas prices!