Importing ISV License file when internet connection is not available
Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 allows ISVs to create encrypted license files using x509 certificates to protect their intellectual property. When customers deploy ISV modules to their environment they are required to import the license file to enable the module. During the license import process, the certificate that is used to sign the file is checked against the root certification authority to verify its validity. In certain cases, however, the root authority may not be available in the system and thus requires an internet connection to check the validity through CA (Certificate Authority). If enabling internet connection is not desired then, in such cases following two approaches could be used to validate the certificate without requiring internet connection.
1. Downloading and installing root certificates from the CA.
Each CA like VeriSign, GoDaddy, GeoTrust, etc… allows you to download their root certificate from their website. Simply go to your CA and download the root and install it in Certificates (MMC) -> Local Computer -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities folder. (See instruction below)
2. Installing ISV certificate with public key only (.cer extension) into trusted root.
Another approach is to take the ISV certificate with public key from the ISV, the same one that is used to sign the license file and install it in the Certificates (MMC) -> Local Computer -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities folder
1. Launch MMC.exe
2. Go to - File > Add/Remove Snap in
3. Certificates > Add
4. Select “Computer Account” from the form
5. Click Next & Finish
6. Click Local Computer > Trusted Root Certification Authorities > Certificates > Import
7. Follow the wizard to import the certificate.