Outlook UI Issue: Save password setting not retained ?
One of my customer uses MS Windows XP SP3 & Outlook 2007 reported that whenever he tries to connect to the Internet service provider (ISP) to retrieve messages from POP3, his earlier entered password is not retained. He was pretty sure that he chose to save the password. Also he tried to entering the correct password again does not resolve the issue.
This issue occurs for one or more of the following reasons:
• You have a corrupted Outlook profile or a corrupted Outlook Express identity.
• It may be due to the registry changes or corrupted information.
• This issue might happen add-ins also.
I used the following troubleshooting steps:
Step 1: Check Outlook has valid profile or not.
It's recommended to make use of new profile without any issues associated with that.
After you locate the .pst files, create a new e-mail profile in Outlook. To do this, follow these steps.
2. On the Tools menu, click Account Settings.
3. Click the E-mail tab, and then click New.
4. Follow the instructions in the Add New E-mail Account wizard to create the new account.
Note If you do not have the account information that the Add New E-mail Account wizard requires, view the settings for your existing account. To do this, click the account on the E-mail tab in the Account Settings dialog box, and then click Change. Note each setting in the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box.
If you do not know the password for your e-mail account, contact your Internet service provider (ISP). Or, if your mailbox is not associated with your ISP, contact the network administrator of the server on which your mailbox is located for help with your password.
Step 2: Open the Outlook in safe mode
This will avoid any add-ins getting loaded and creating the issues
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type outlook.exe /safe, and then click OK.
Step 3: Troubleshooting with COM Add-in
To troubleshoot possible problems that are caused by COM add-ins, disable any COM add-ins that you do not use regularly. Then, restart Outlook. If that does not resolve the problem, disable the add-ins one by one. If that does not resolve the problem, disable all add-ins. To disable COM add-ins, follow the steps for the version of Outlook that you are using.
For Outlook 2007
To disable COM add-ins, follow these steps:
1. On the Tools menu in Outlook 2007, click Trust Center.
2. Click Add-ins, click COM Add-ins in the Manage list, and then click Go.
3. In the COM Add-Ins dialog box, click to clear the check boxes for any COM add-ins that you want to disable.
4. After you disable the add-ins, click OK, and then restart Outlook.