VSS Users were not able to perform Check-in operation...
Few days back, i got a case where users were trying to check-in their files to VSS, but VSS was getting hanged. All project teams were facing this problem.
Looked very strange...why suddenly this started ...
Let me tell you why it happend....
- Problem was occuring with both version of VSS (VSS 6.0 and VSS 2005)
- Installed all latest patches for VSS, still the problem remained..
- No CPU spike, No event log entries.
- Started the machine in Safemode.
- Now performed the Check-in operation.
- Check-in operation went smoothly.
- This is where I got a hit and hint of solution.
- Started machine in normal mode.
- Ran ProcMon tool.
- From the ProcMon log, found there are doubtful exes running.
- One was AntiVirus software.
- Stopped that AntiVirus.
- Performed operations with VSS.
- Everything ran smoothly.
Recommendation: Never run Antivirus software on VSS server. It may give you performance hit.
Read About ProcMon and other troubleshooting utility:
Hope this article will help you too while facing problem with VSS.
Disclaimer: This is a personal weblog. The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer.