Summary of fixes available for ASP.NET 2.0
September 2009 - this post is just her for "historical" purposes.
For a maintained list of ASP.NET fixes click here.
[last update - 20th November 2007 - added 938276 and .NET 2.0 SP1 entry,]
[previous update - 31st August 2007 - added 939866,]
[previous update - 3rd August 2007 - corrected some of the versions for current beta products]
There is nothing worse than wrestling with a problem for ages only to discover later that there is already a fix for it. I therefore felt it would be useful to summarise what fixes have been done for ASP.NET 2.0 since it was released. Here are a few important points before we go any further:
- What is a hotfix? Make sure you can answer this question before you go ahead and start downloading or installing fixes. A good description can be found on the DevDiv Hotifx Public Availability Pilot Program web site.
- When we ship a fix we always try to minimise the number of files affected. So far, most ASP.NET 2.0 fixes we've released only affect three files: System.web.dll, WebEngine.dll and aspnet_wp.exe. The fixes listed in the first table below all update those files to the version number indicated.
- Fixes are cumulative. So for example if you install the fix that says it installs version .832 then you are also getting the bug fix that is described in the article that says it installs version .819, .804 etc., etc. That's why I've written the below table in reverse version number order.
- Check the version number of these files on your system first. If your version number is already higher than the version number indicated in the article then it means you already have that bug fix. If you are getting a problem that sounds like what is described in the article but you already have that fix, then you are probably getting a similar problem or set of symptoms due to some different underlying root cause.
- At the time of writing, the simplest way to get all the latest, current ASP.NET 2.0 fixes is to go to Microsoft Update and let it scan your system and get all recommended critical updates. This will include MS07-040 which updates significant chunks of the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, including ASPNET 2.0.
- If for some reason you don't want that security update but want a more targetted hotfix package for ASP.NET only then the next simplest thing would be to go to the connect site and directly download one of the fix packages for ASP.NET that are available there that includes the fix you are looking for (see below).
- If you are still not sure what fix you need, are having trouble getting hold of a particular fix, are having trouble installing it or have installed it but it hasn't solved your problem then contact Microsoft Product Support. Scott Guthrie has already blogged about one of the recent fixes listed below and has an excellent introduction to how to contact support (see "Contacting Microsoft Product Support" on that blog entry).
- If you are having a specific problem obtaining or installing a fix or with solving some ASP.NET issue please don't contact me directly. Unfortunately I cannot scale up to be a one man support organisation. Please utilise our global support organisation as described above.
Fixes that affect the three core ASP.NET 2.0 files of System.Web.dll, WebEngine.dll and aspnet_wp.exe (located in WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727)
Other fixes outside of the main set of three files:
Hope this helps!