Announcing the DoD 5015.2 Resource Kit for SharePoint Server 2007
[Cross-posted from the SharePoint Team Blog.]
Back in May of last year, we announced that MOSS 2007 had passed the U.S. government's DoD 5015.2 certification. Now, all of the work that was done to achieve that important milestone has been packaged and released as a resource kit.
The DoD 5015.2 Resource Kit is intended only for customers, who are required to run their records management system in a DoD 5015.2 Chapter 2 certified state. In case you're wondering, we currently have no plans to provide support for DoD 5015.2 Chapter 4 (classified records).
However, the Resource Kit is not intended for customers, who would like to enhance the records management functionality of MOSS 2007 with particular 5015.2 oriented features but are not required to run their system in a certified configuration. Alternatively, sample code and documentation will be available shortly via the MSDN Dev Center for MOSS 2007 for the most frequently requested features such as:
- Generating a Unique ID
- Display search results in Grid View
- Referencing and Linking - Using a secondary table to maintain the relationship
- Referencing and Linking - Using the asset picker
- Referencing and Linking - Using a custom field to display the relationship
- Create Document Library from a list item
- Put multiple items on Hold using SPQuery
- Custom expiration formula based on metadata (2 parts)
- Custom expiration formula based on metadata (cont.)
- Creating a custom router & extracting date received (2 parts)
- Creating a custom router & extracting date received (cont)
- Prevent record modification but allow metadata modification in event handler
- Prevent record modification but allow metadata modification by overriding upload page
- Programmatically defaulting/inheriting a field value
- Using ProcessBatchData to batch update list items
- Using Metadata tags to route documents into document libraries
- Create a record category programmatically (2 parts)
- Create a record category programmatically (cont)
- Routing content to a record category based on a metadata value
Officially, the DoD 5015.2 Resource Kit for SharePoint Server 2007 is now available to customers through our partner and Microsoft Consulting Service (MCS) channels. The reason for requiring partner/MCS involvement is that DoD implementations are not as simple as a "double-click installation." They require deep understanding of records management practices as well as business process and policy requirements. In order to successfully implement a DoD 5015.2 certified solution based on MOSS 2007, customers should work with their respective Microsoft account managers to engage a partner that has been trained on the DoD 5015.2 Resource Kit. Partners may download the Resource Kit's source code for free via MS Connect's DoD 5015.2 Resource Kit Source Code download site.
Also on the download site is a DoD 5015.2 Resource Kit Installer that partners as well as customers can download only for evaluation purposes and not for production use. This additional download provides a way for evaluators to learn about the DoD 5015.2 oriented records management capabilities provided by the Resource Kit while deciding which features, if not all, will be suitable for addressing their organization's requirements. [Caution: This is an unsigned debug build of the Installer for early preview purposes. The official Microsoft signed version of the Installer will be available on Microsoft.com's Download Center within a couple of weeks.]
For the latest answers to frequently asked questions about the DoD 5015.2 Resource Kit for SharePoint Server 2007, go to https://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/capabilities/ecm/dod5015.mspx.