PowerShell Script to Create a Sysinternals Suite INF File Installer
In my February 26, 2010 post I provided an updated INF file to install the Sysinternals Suite. I also mentioned that I would try to update this more frequently in the future as the content of the Sysinternals Suite changes. Well my free time being what it is, I have not had a chance to do that yet. So instead I took to heart a comment left by Chris Sagovac that I make a script to create the INF file.
The PowerShell script (New-SysinternalsSuiteInstaller.ps1) attached below does the following:
- Downloads the Sysinternals Suite web page and parses out the Updated date.
- Creates a subfolder below the script folder named with the Updated date.
- Creates an Extracted folder under the date folder.
- Downloads the Sysinternals Suite Zip file in the date folder.
- Extracts the contents of the Zip file to the Extracted folder.
- Generates Install_SysinternalsSuite.inf in the Extracted folder.
The INF file has entries to create Start Menu shortcuts for the graphical programs and help files. You can change the list of programs and help files that will have shortcuts by changing the entries in the $hashStartMenuPrograms and $hashStartMenuHelp hashtable variables in New-SysinternalsSuiteInstaller.ps1.
- Michael Murgolo, Senior Consultant, Microsoft Services, U.S. East Region.