Paul Flessner on Microsoft's Data Vision
Paul (SVP for Data and Storage at Microsoft) Flessner is talking today in SF about our vision for the future of Data. You'll see press reports and other information on the briefing appearing over the next few days, its exciting stuff, here are some of the highlights;
- There have been more than 2 million copies of SQL Server Express downloaded.
- More than 300,000 people have attended one of the worldwide events launching SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005 and Biztalk Server 2006.
- SQL Server 2005 SP1 will ship in April, it will include support for Database Mirroring in production and the RTM version of SQL Server Management Studio Express Edition.
- A new SKU of SQL Server 2005 is being added, this is the SQL Server Everywhere Edition, this is based on the SQL Server Mobile codebase but provides a SKU that runs on everything from SmartPhones and Embedded Devices, through Desktops to Servers. Its a low footprint single user local store. The first CTP will be out this summer with an RTM on track for the end of the year.
- Future releases of SQL Server will be a regular schedule of 24-36 months.
Once the links become live from Pauls meetings I'll post them to the thread.
Update: Pauls letter is here