Edge Transport Server or Gateway Server
1) What is an "Edge Transport Server" or "Gateway Server" ?
- Earlier Edge Transport Server is also referred as "Gateway Server".
- In Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Edge Transport server role is deployed in your organization's perimeter network .
- It handles all Internet-facing mail flow, providing protection against spam and viruses.
2) What is an "Edge Transport Server role" ?
- The Edge Transport server role accepts mail coming into the Exchange 2007 organization from the Internet and routes all outbound messages to the Internet.
- The Edge Transport server role acts as a smart host and SMTP relay for the Exchange organization.
- You configure Send connectors and Receive connectors on the Edge Transport server to control message processing