URLSTRESS – a simple GUI tool with source code to stress your favorite web server !
There is a number of stress testing tools available for IIS. WCAT and VSTS/ VSALM are probably the best known tools today:
- WCAT - Web Capacity Analysis Tool (free)
- VSTS (Visual Studio Team System) now called VSALM (Visual Studio Application Lifecycle Management) (part of Visual Studio Ultimate)
For an overview of both tools, you may consult these blogs:
- Stress Test ASP.NET Web Application With Free WCAT Tool
- Web and Load Testing with Visual Studio Team System
Something to be aware of is that FIDDLER logs can be exported to both tools and integrated in a test scenario:
- WCAT Fiddler Extension for Web Server Performance Tests
- Using Fiddler with Visual Studio Team System (VSTS) 2010
When performing simple tests just requiring to stress a particular URL, the above tool may be overkill and you may be more interested to use a simple GUI stress tool like the one used in the video "Improving Performance with Native Output Caching":
Since I couldn't get hold of the above tool, I decided to write my own URLSTRESS tool. The tool currently looks like this:
I'm also posting the tool's source code in case you would like to use it as a skeleton for your own stress tool.
Happy Web Stressing!