SharePoint Online - Usage Reporting
I recently stumbled across this article that discusses the Office 365 Reporting Web Service which is a really cool feature that provides the ability to generate a number of reports about Office 365 usage within your tenant, including SharePoint, Lync and Exchange. As a SharePoint guy, I focussed on the SharePoint Reports, which include the following:
- Active Users - Daily and Monthly
- Number of Team Sites Created - Weekly and Monthly
- Team Site Storage - Weekly and Monthly
- Number of OneDrive Sites Created - Weekly and Monthly
- OneDrive Storage - Weekly and Monthly
- Tenant Storage - Daily, Weekly and Monthly
A selection of these reports are available via the Office 365 Admin Portal.
As the Web Service is accessible via REST - https://reports.office365.com/ecp/reportingwebservice/reporting.svc, it was simple enough to use Excel to connect to and use Power View to create some custom reports, below are some example reports that I have created.
Active Users - Broken down by Month and Day
Power View provides really nice capabilities for filtering data, as you can see from the daily report I have drilled into a specific date range within the current month.
Site Creation by Month - Both Team Sites and OneDrive for Business Sites
A great way to track adoption at a very high level!
Storage Consumption - Provides an overview of Storage Consumed vs. Available (Monthly)
As you can see my tenant has a minimal amount of data, in the real world this would be another good measure for adoption.
I have attached the Excel report that I created to this post, it contains data connections to all of the SharePoint reports that are currently available - all you need to do is open the report, hit refresh and enter the credentials for a Global Admin account within your Tenant (the report requires Excel 2013 and Power View).
If you prefer to create your own report from scratch you will need to do the following:
- Launch Excel
- Select Data > From Other Sources
- Select From OData Data Feed
- Enter the URL of the Reporting Web Service - https://reports.office365.com/ecp/reportingwebservice/reporting.svc and your Office 365 Credentials
- Select the reporting data you wish to import into Excel
- Happy Reporting!
Brendan Griffin - @brendankarl