Jesse Liberty Silverlight Tour of the UK and Ireland in April
Note: Cross posted from IUpdateable from Eric Nelson.
I was presenting at the excellent .NET Developer Network in Bristol last night run by the awesome Guy Smith-Ferrier. Guy reminded me of this awesome news which needs broadcasting widely – Jesse Liberty is in town in April. Sweet.
Stolen directly from Guys post:
“Jesse Liberty, Silverlight Geek (Microsoft US Developer Evangelist for Silverlight), is doing a tour of the UK and Ireland in April to coincide with Microsoft UK's week of TechDays (#techdays) events. Jesse is speaking at Bristol, London, Cambridge, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and Dublin between Monday 12th April 2010 and Friday 23rd April 2010. You can match the dates to the venues at Jesse's post. Jesse's first stop on the tour is at The .NET Developer Network on Monday 12th April 2010 where we will also be celebrating our third birthday (with cake!). Jesse will be presenting:-
- Silverlight 4, MVVM and TDD: A Brave New World (level 300)
1. MVVM and Silverlight to build test-driven programs
2. Understanding Refactoring and Dependency Injection
3. A Walk through of a non-trivial application
The content looks very good – and the cake in bristol on the 12th is tempting if I’m not in London that day for the free Microsoft Tech Days.
Introduction to Application Development With Silverlight 4
This presentation is targeted at .NET programmers new to Silverlight or who wish a review of the fundamentals of building an application in Silverlight 4. Topics will include
- Drag and Drop development
- Xaml and Code
- Layout and Controls
- Data, Data-binding, Validation and Async-validation
- Templates and The Visual State Manager (Time allowing)
Building A Highly Extensible, Decoupled Silverlight Open Source Application with MEF and RIA Services using Lean, Test Driven Development, An International Team of Volunteer Programmers, and lots of Advil.
This talk will use the Silverlight HyperVideo Platform open-source project on CodePlex as a case study in building highly extensible Silverlight applications. Among the topics we will focus on are:
- New features in Silverlight 4 and how they made life easier
- The Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) added to Silverlight 4
- WCF RIA Services for connection to a back-end db
- Handling inter-module communication when the requirements are that modules cannot assume which other modules will be created, there can be no dependencies on order-of creation and unanticipated modules must be able to communicate with existing modules.
- Using Markers, Injected Markers and polling to trigger events while viewing a video.
- A Quick introduction to Lean, TDD and Kanban
Silverlight 4, MVVM and Test-Driven Development
- MVVM and Silverlight to build test-driven programs
- Understanding Refactoring and Dependency Injection
- A Walk through of a non-trivial application