Week 4: Do you know? Series of the Week
Weekly, the Dynamics GP team will be posting a ‘Did you know?’ series. We’ll give tips, tricks, and general comments around features and functions that already exist in Microsoft Dynamics GP. This week we will focus on the Security.
Our challenge to you is…how much do you really know about Dynamics GP?
Over the years, I’ve heard many product suggestions from customers and partners around security. With the addition of functionality like Refreshable Excel Reports, SQL Reporting Services Reports, Web Services, SharePoint, it’s important to understand how to deploy these great solutions securely.
This post will talk about two specific security features and has important links to additional information.
Links to Important Security Information
Dynamics Security Synch Utility (DSSU)
DSSU is a tool to help administrators manage the process of synchronizing roles across Dynamics applications. Basically, the utility is a console that provides the ability to synchronize in any direction by specifying a source and destination.
New Role Based Security
In Dynamics GP 10.0, we restructured our security based on customer feedback. Maintaining security and going through audits is much easier. A few highlights:
- Pessimistic Security. Users will have access to nothing until security is set.
- User Security can be copied to other companies or users.
- The security is based on Roles and Tasks. For example, the A/P Clerk role would have a check printing task.
- Hundreds of default tasks and fifteen roles come out of the box.
- You can create new roles and tasks from scratch or by coping a default and editing.
- Separates Alternate/Modified Forms and Report from security for easier management.
- Prior security setups will convert to the new model.
I hope you all have a great weekend, securely.