Major Infrastructure Update to SharePoint 2007 Announced
An infrastructure update for SharePoint 2007 was released yesterday. This post will be number 10,001 on the topic, as I am sure it will be blogged about heavily. This update includes several things that are of interest to ISVs, especially the ability to federate searches. The release includes not only a rollup of hotfixes post SP1, but several platform performance improvements as well as search enhancements to support federated searching.
- Enterprise Search Feature enhancements include federated search capability and administration dashboard that unifies the experience between Search Server 2008, Search Server Express 2008 and SharePoint 2007.
- Several search related performance improvements as well as a new index format create more efficient and faster crawls and query speed.
- Several fixes have been made to the Content Deployment process. This improve reliability, content and settings fidelity and prevent import failures.
- The Profile and Profile Service have been improved to speed performance.
- Investments in the Upgrade and Path process have been made to improve the process for future updates. This should mean less downtime and a quicker upgrade process moving forward.
This should be considered an important update for all customers on the SharePoint platform.
For more information please refer to these KB articles:
Description of the Infrastructure Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (KB951695)
Fixes Included in the Infrastructure Update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (KB953749)
Description of the Infrastructure Update for Microsoft Office Servers (KB951297)
Fixes Included in the Infrastructure Update for Microsoft Office Servers (KB953750)