Guidance Explorer: enabling discovery, composition and consumption of high quality development guidance
Several of our MVPs just recently “discovered” the Guidance Explorer project run by our very on patterns & practices team even though it’s been released for some time now. Since this was a surprise to many of them, I figured it’d be good mention it more broadly in case others might find it useful. As you hopefully know by now, the p&p team is all about providing guidance to architects and developers interested in learning more about how to apply Microsoft’s technologies to common application development scenarios. They produce a ton of content and often times customers want to customize the organization of that guidance to make it easier to access and navigate. Enter the Guidance Explorer. This Codeplex project provides an easy way to:
- Find relevant patterns & practices guidance
- Build customized checklists for your development scenarios
- Build customized guidelines for your development scenarios
- Build custom sets of guidance and share with your team as recommended practice.
Here’s a quick screenshot of the tool:
As you can see, it provides the ability to navigate, search, filter and customize your view on all of p&p’s content. Some of the guidance you might want to navigate with the Guidance Explorer includes:
- patterns & practices Performance Testing Guidance
- patterns & practices Visual Studio Team System Guidance
- patterns & practices Team Foundation Server Guide
- patterns & practices WCF Security Guidance
Check it out and let us know if this works for you!