Outlook Reminder for Leadership Practices
I created a recurring appointment in Outlook for Fridays. It's a checklist of key leadership practices from The Leadership Challenge. Each Friday, I scan this checklist and reflect on how well I've demonstrated the practices and where I need to tune for the upcoming week.
- Sets a personal example of what to expect?
- Makes certain that people adhere to agreed-on standards?
- Follows through on promises and commitments?
- Asks for feedback on how actions affect people's performance?
- Builds consensus around organization's values?
- Is clear about philosophy of leadership?
- Talks about future trends influencing work?
- Describes a compelling image of the future?
- Appeals to others to share a dream of the future?
- Shows others how their interests can be realized?
- Paints "big picture" of group aspirations?
- Shows conviction about meaning of work?
- Seeks challenging opportunities to test skills?
- Challenges people to try new approaches?
- Searches outside organization for innovative ways to improve?
- Asks "What can we learn?"
- Makes certain that goals, plans, and milestones are set?
- Experiments and takes risks?
- Develops cooperative relationships?
- Actively listens to diverse points of view?
- Treats people with dignity and respect?
- Supports decisions other people make?
- Gives people choice about how to do their work?
- Ensures that people grow in their jobs?
- Praises people for a job well done?
- Expresses confidence in people's abilities?.
- Creatively rewards people for their contributions?
- Recognizes people for commitment to shared values?
- Finds ways to celebrate accomplishments?
- Gives team members appreciation and support?