San Antonio serves up part of our S+S story
To service Windows Live and Microsoft Online Services, you have to build a global infrastructure. A part of this story is building datacenters, and the San Antonio data center is the next part of the story. Consider a few facts of this effort:
- 470K sq. ft.
- $550M effort
- will use more than 8 million gallons of recycled water per month for its cooling needs
- We built one in Quincy, Wash.
- Another site, due to open later this year in the Chicago area, will be Microsoft's first to employ containers of servers , in addition to traditional rack-based set-ups.
- Plans to build a center in West Des Moines, Iowa, Ireland, and Russia
Here is how the local press covered the San Antonio opening:
· San Antonio Business Journal: Microsoft finishes $550 million data center in San Antonio (staff, 9/18)
· San Antonio Express-News: Microsoft data center goes live today (Laura Lorek, 9/22)
· San Antonio Express-News: ‘Nerve center' gets to work (Laura Lorek, 9/23)
o Reposted on Seattle Post Intelligencer
· Cnet: Microsoft opens San Antonio data center (Ina Fried, 9/22)
· Data Center Knowledge : Microsoft Makes San Antonio “A Force” (Rich Miller, 9/22)
· InformationWeek: Microsoft Opens $550 Million Data Center In San Antonio (J. Nicholas Hoover, 9/22)
· IT Business Edge: Microsoft Opens ‘Green’ Data Center in Texas (Susan Hall, 9/23)
· Web Host Industry News: Microsoft Opens $550m Data Center (David Hamilton, 9/22)
· Data Center Knowledge: Microsoft To Use Solar Panels in New Data Center (Rich Miller, 9/24)
San Antonio Express News: Microsoft’s Ribbon Cutting Monday
WOAI-AM: Microsoft Opens SA Tech Center Today
WordPress.com: Microsoft Press Coverage (San Antonio)
Digital Cave Tech Hermit: Birth of the Information Utility
Terry Singh (Netherlands):Microsoft's San Antonio Data Center goes live!