Automating Rebuilding of FIM Service Database Full-Text Index Catalogs
A recommend practice is the regular rebuilding of the full text catalog for the FIM Service database, since this optimizes performance of FIM queries. Without attention to maintaining this catalog one may experience SQL timeouts occurring leading to failures in FIM requests.
This blog entry contains the instructions on how to set up the automation to rebuild the full-text indexes at 1:00am each night.
- Login a workstation or server that has Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio installed on it with an account that has administrative rights on the SQL server.
- Launch SQL Server Management Studio.
- From the SQL Servicer Management Studio’s Object Explorer tree view on the left, navigate Databases --> FIMService --> Storage --> Full Text Catalogs
- Right-click on the ftCatalog node under Full Text Catalogs and select Properties. The Full-Text Catalog Properties window will appear.
- On the Full-Text Catalog Properties window, select the Populate Schedule item from the menu on the left and then click the New button. The New Full-Text Indexing Catalog Schedule dialog will appear.
- On the New Full-Text Indexing Catalog Schedule dialog, enter in the following values:
• Name: Nightly Rebuild of Indexes
• Enabled: checked
• Schedule Type: Reoccuring
• Occurs: Daily
• Recurs every: 1 day
• Daily frequency:
• Occurs once at: 01:00 AM
• Start date: (today’s date)
• No end date: selected
- On the New Full-Text Indexing Catalog Schedule dialog, click the OK button. The New Full-Text Indexing Catalog Schedule dialog will close.
- On the Full-Text Catalog Properties window, click the OK button. The Full-Text Catalog Properties window will close.