Discover the first preview of code-name Windows 8
On June 1st, during All Things Digital D9 conference, Steven Sinofsky showed a first look at the next version of Windows, code-named “Windows 8”. According to Sinofsky this is big, in fact he calls it one of “biggest change since at least Windows 95”.
I’m pretty excited (ok, that’s an understatement) about what has been shown. My suggestion is to go discover what has been unveiled until now and prepare yourself for more later. Below you can find a number of videos and links with more information.
If you are looking for more then join us for BUILD, the developer conference in Anaheim California running September 13 to 16th 2011.
BUILD is the first place to dive deep into the future of Windows.
From the press release
In the official press release following Steven Sinofsky’s preview you can read some important aspects about “Windows 8”:
- Fast launching of apps from a tile-based Start screen, which replaces the Windows Start menu with a customizable, scalable full-screen view of apps.
- Live tiles with notifications, showing always up-to-date information from your apps.
- Fluid, natural switching between running apps.
- Convenient ability to snap and resize an app to the side of the screen, so you can really multitask using the capabilities of Windows.
- Fully touch-optimized browsing, with all the power of hardware-accelerated Internet Explorer 10.
Videos – discover for yourself
Building "Windows 8" - Video #1
Jensen Harris, Director of PM, Windows User Experience walks you through some parts of the new user interface.
Steven Sinofsky and Julie Larson-Green, Corporate Vice President, Windows Experience at D9:
Recording of Computex 2011 Taipei
Microsoft Unveils 'Windows 8' to World: recording from COMPUTEX 2011, June 2, 2011 with Microsoft Corporate Vice President Mike Angiulo.
You can also watch extracts of parts of the video (instead of the 30+ minute total video) here: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windows7/videoGallery.aspx?contentID=win8_preview1&WT.z_convert=Share