Configuring Hyper-V Virtual Networking in Windows Server 2012 - "Early Experts" Challenge - Exam 70-410 and 70-417
This study guide is provided as part of the Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Challenge and steps through the resources that I personally used when preparing for the following exam objectives on Exam 70-410, Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 and Exam 70-417, Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012:
- Configure Hyper-V (17%)
- Create and configure virtual networks
- Configure Hyper-V virtual switches
- Optimize network performance
- Configure MAC addresses
- Configure network Isolation
- Configure synthetic and legacy virtual network adapters
- Implement Hyper-V Network Virtualization
- Create and configure virtual networks
What is the Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Challenge?
The Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Challenge is a FREE online peer study group that is leveraging a set of study resources, such as this study guide, to prepare for the MCSA on Windows Server 2012 certification exams as an IT Pro community. This study guide and the "Early Experts" Challenge are intended as post-training resources for IT Pros with significant prior experience in previous versions of Windows Server and/or IT Pros that have completed formal training on Windows Server 2012 and are preparing for certification. Formal instructor-led training on these exam objectives is available from local Microsoft Learning partners that are delivering the following Microsoft Official Course:
Completion of this study guide satisfies one portion of the "Early Experts" Virtualizer Quest study requirements. Learn more about the "Early Experts" Challenge peer study group and join us online at: http://earlyexperts.net.
Watch: Hyper-V Networking in Windows Server 2012
Watch this video for a technical overview of Hyper-V networking in Windows Server 2012, including new capabilities such as enhanced SMB support, NIC teaming, SR-IOV network offload, Hyper-V port ACLs, enhanced QoS bandwidth management, and network virtualization.
Download this video for offline viewing.
Study: Configure Hyper-V Networking
Leverage these study materials to review the concepts and tasks involved in configuring Hyper-V networking. Note that some of these concepts are common to Windows Server 2012 and older versions of Windows Server 2008 R2. As a result, some of the resource links may reference older versions of Windows Server. However, these materials are still relevant for Windows Server 2012.
- What’s New in the Hyper-V Virtual Network Switch?
- Hyper-V Virtual Network Switch Types Explained – External, Internal and Private
- Configuring Hyper-V Virtual Networks
- Implementing Hyper-V Network Virtualization
- Quality of Service (QoS) Common Configurations
Do It: Configure Hyper-V Virtual Network Switches
- Using this Step-by-Step Configuration Guide as a reference, define the following virtual network switches on your Hyper-V host:
- An External virtual network switch named “LABNETEXT”
- An Internal virtual network switch named “LABNETINT”
- A Private virtual network switch named “LABNETPRI”
- Using this Step-by-Step Configuration Guide as a reference, define a new virtual machine and connect it to the External virtual network switch on your Hyper-V host.
- Using this Step-by-Step Configuration Guide as a reference, use an Internal virtual network switch to move files to a virtual machine.
- Leverage the PowerShell cmdlets referenced in What's New in the Hyper-V Virtual Network Switch to configure the following VM network settings on the External virtual network switch:
- Port Access Control Lists (ACLs)
- MAC Address Spoofing
- Port Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) and Trunk Mode
- Leverage the Set-VMNetworkAdapter PowerShell cmdlet referenced in QoS Common Configurations to configure a maximum bandwidth of 100Mbps on each VM network adapter.
After you've completing this study guide, complete the other study guides in the Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Virtualizer Quest to receive your personalized "Early Experts – Virtualizer" completion certification, suitable for framing and sharing online!
Do you like this Study Guide? Tell Your Friends!
Please feel free to share this study guide online using the sharing buttons below. Leave comments / feedback on what you've found valuable and any suggestions for improvements.