HackReady.Phone Episode 3 of 7: Understanding Windows Phone’s Application Lifecycle and State Management
You can view the webcast On-Demand: https://aka.ms/HackReadyPhone3
This part of our Windows Phone development series covered the Windows Phone Application Lifecycle (see picture below). Understanding this is important for developers, as users expect a consistent experience across all their applications. Because only one Windows Phone application can be running in the foreground at any given time, we need to know what to do when that is not the case.
Here are some resources that I mentioned in the webcast:
- Slides are attached to the bottom of this post
- Download the Windows Phone SDK
- Dani's blog: http://smallandmighty.net
- Execution Model Overview: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817008(v=VS.92).aspx
- Tombstoning Quickstart: http://create.msdn.com/en-US/education/quickstarts/Running_your_App_in_the_Background_(Tombstoning)
- Application State "How to": http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff967547(VS.92).aspx
- Page State "How to": http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff967548(v=vs.92).aspx
- Best Practices for Application Lifecycle management: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817009(v=vs.92).aspx
- Lastly, the demos were from the Jump Start series:
- Video: https://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/egibson/windows-phone-7-jump-start-session-8-of-12-advanced-application-development-part-2
- Source Code: http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/wp7/m/default.aspx (Application Lifecycle)
Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!