MDOP 2009 R2 for Windows 7 is now available!
Just in time for Windows 7, today we are announcing the availability of Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) 2009 R2! If you are an MDOP customer, you can download MDOP 2009 R2 through Microsoft Volume Licensing Site (MVLS). For others who wish to evaluate MDOP products, the MDOP software is available at MSDN and TechNet (in accordance with your MSDN or TechNet agreements, except for AIS).
We're seeing great adoption of MDOP products world-wide, so today I thought I'd share what we're hearing from some of our customers and partners. We also have MED-V and AIS updates at the end - so read all the way through!
With Windows 7 right around the corner, you might ask why should I be thinking about MDOP?
Well if you're running a business, MDOP can provide immediate savings with little IT investment, especially when integrated into your Windows 7 plans:
- Optimize Windows 7 deployment using Application Virtualization, reducing PC provisioning time, simplifying application delivery and update, and increasing productivity with user roaming
- Enhance Windows 7 manageability, by addressing common system/application failures (with DEM), repairing unbootable PCs (with DaRT), and controlling Group Policy change (with AGPM)
Many IT organizations have already adopted MDOP for their Windows desktops
MDOP has been licensed for over 21 million desktops worldwide!
In a recent survey completed for Microsoft by Answers Research, and including 1000 IT professionals across five countries, we learned several interesting facts:
- 66% of MDOP customers deployed three or more of the MDOP products
- 52% of them deployed MDOP across more than half of their PCs
- 94% of MDOP customers said they would recommend MDOP to a colleague
- When comparing MDOP and non-MDOP customers, customer satisfaction with Software Assurance increases by 25%
MDOP deployments are not limited to one industry - they are happening across all verticals: Healthcare (Swedish Medical Center, Baptist Health, Vancouver Coastal Health), Education (Universita di Lingue e Comunicazione, Fairfax County Public Schools, California State University, Humber College), Pharmaceutical and Manufacturing (Aurobindo Pharma, Heidelberger, Ingersoll Rand , Picard Surgeles) and Government (City of Zurich, State of Indiana, Algerian National Policy, London Borough of Camden, Legislative Yuan - Taiwan).
You can read one of the 44 MDOP case-studies at the Microsoft Case Study site.
MDOP 2009 R2 simplifies Windows 7 deployment and management
We see several early adopter Windows 7 business customers piloting MDOP. They are waiting for MDOP 2009 R2 to continue their MDOP deployment on Windows 7.
For instance, BMW completed a proof of concept of application delivery with Application Virtualization. "We expect cost savings on desktop support once we start deploying App-V with Windows 7," said Mr. Bernhard Huber, Head of IT Workplace Systems at BMW. "We are also considering AGPM [Advanced Group Policy Management] and MED-V [Enterprise Desktop Virtualization] at a later stage of Windows 7 deployment."
Heinz Koehler, VP of Infrastructure for E.O.N., Power and Gas Company with 85,000 desktops that are being upgraded to Windows 7, talks about MDOP: "We also expect to use App-V to help reduce the packaging and testing costs of applications and use MED-V to help resolve any application compatibility issues. "
"...MDOP, specifically App-V, has been a hidden gem our customers have found to help them quickly deploy, and then easily manage and maintain their applications in an efficient manner. In an economy when they are being asked to do more with less, the timing couldn't have been better for MDOP 2009 R2 to help our clients meet their IT initiatives...," said Rand Morimoto, President of Convergent Computing.
Watch a webcast with CDW on October 26, to learn more about CDW deployment of MDOP Application Virtualization on Windows 7.
MDOP deployment requires minimal investment and provides immediate benefits
"Virtualizing a large percentage of your applications is not as daunting as you think. Our customers are taking the fast track to implementing application virtualization by easily converting their existing MSI to virtual formats," said Maureen Polte, Director of Product Management for Flexera Software, the makers of AdminStudio. "Implementation timelines are being met, teams are having smoother rollouts and up to 80 percent of their applications are quickly virtualized."
Matt Ondrejko , Director at EnPointe says: "We are set to complete 13 Proof of Concepts by the end of year, showcasing Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack. The process takes only 5-7 days and we view MDOP PoC as an important step in preparation for Windows 7"
It's important to remember that MDOP is not all about virtualization. MDOP 2009 R2 has updates for AGPM, DEM and DaRT, and our partners see their customers quickly deploying those products and gaining significant benefits from increased control and better desktop monitoring and troubleshooting.
For example, Scott Swegles of Pontis Research said: "While our MDOP POCs are driven by virtualization initially because of the tremendous value it brings, in a matter of hours we can also have Advanced Group Policy Manager running and open a whole new level of control and efficiency in managing desktops. AGPM solves the lack of an approval mechanism and audit trail that was keeping many organizations from taking advantage of Group Policies."
"The visibility that MDOP Desktop Error Monitoring (DEM) provides an organization is incredible, being able to have a central database that all desktop errors roll up into is a powerful tool for the help desk technicians when working through probable cause analysis," said Michael Van Cleave, Technical Specialist - Monitoring and Management, CDW.
Learn more about MDOP 2009 R2 and MDOP beta products
You could read more about the features of MDOP 2009 R2 in this post or watch videos and demos for each of our products as part of our "New Efficiency" joint Windows event at http://www.thenewefficiency.com/ or at www.microsoft.com/mdop .
While not part of this release, there are two additional products that could help you in the migration process to Windows 7:
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V) V 1.0 SP1 - This updated tool will support Windows 7 and enable enterprise deployment of virtual Windows XP environments to support incompatible applications. A Beta version of MED-V 1.0 SP1 will be available by the end of 2009 and final release is scheduled for the first quarter of calendar year 2010.
- Asset Inventory Service (AIS) 2.0 - AIS 2.0 can track your existing assets to improve Windows 7 deployment planning and will have a series of enhancements that customers have requested: Enhanced hardware inventory, new Silverlight-based user interface, scale to 100,000 PCs, improved volume license reconciliation and ability to track virtual applications. The AIS 2.0 beta is now available ( registration closes by October 24th) and the final release will be available in H2 CY2010