Get closer to the action with the launch of The Lions Official smartphone and tablet apps
Exclusive app competition offers fans chance to attend The Lions squad announcement.
Powered by The Official Technology Provider Microsoft, The Lions Official smartphone and tablet app gives fans the chance to stay close to the action down under with exclusive player interviews, in-depth reviews of the venues and the opportunity to win a once-in-a-lifetime British & Irish Lions experience.
Exclusive to the app and enabled by Microsoft, fans can put themselves in Warren Gatland’s boots and select their first XV Lions team to board the plane to Hong Kong and Australia.
Fans pick their Lions XV by issuing boarding passes for those who should be ‘On The Plane.’
The winner of the ‘On The Plane’ competition, chosen by random selection, will be the envy of millions of fans and get to live their Lions dreams by:
- Travelling with one guest to London to attend The Lions squad announcement on Tuesday 30 April 2013
- Sitting on the front row next to Will Greenwood as the squad is being announced
- Meeting Warren Gatland and the 2013 captain following the announcement including a photo opportunity
- Interviewing Will Greenwood to get his thoughts on the squad
- Receiving a Microsoft Surface RT and Red Nokia Lumia 920 so the winner can follow all the latest news leading up to The Tour
Fans can also see which players have been voted the most popular by the Lions supporters and share their selections on Facebook.
Launching the app, Warren Gatland, British & Irish Lions Head Coach said, “The support of The Lions fans, both home and abroad, is truly inspiring and they really do become a sixteenth man. We’re excited to launch the innovative app which celebrates the 125th anniversary of The British & Irish Lions, and provides in-depth knowledge of The Tour this summer, bringing fans closer to the action.”
Scott Dodds, general manager, marketing and operations, Microsoft, said, “We’re working closely with The British & Irish Lions to offer immersive fan experiences through the power of technology. We understand how people want to access information and the app allows fans to connect with The Tour while on the go with their smartphone or tablet.”
The app also includes the following features:
- Interviews with Lions legends and Wallaby heroes from previous series
- Fixtures – full schedule and locations of The British & Irish Lions Tour 2013
- Opposition – read-up on the teams who will face The British & Irish Lions
- Match venues – get the lo-down on the stadiums which will host the Sea of Red this summer. Information includes imagery, address, date of game, capacity and the stadia’s history with The British & Irish Lions
- Squad announcement – interview with Warren Gatland ahead of the touring party being announced
- The Tom Richards Trophy - named after one of only two players to have played for both the Lions and Australia, this section gives Lions fans the opportunity to read up on their history
- Interviews with past players
- 2013 Tour Overview
- Lions supporters. Mike Teague explains the importance of touring and how supporters really make a difference
Sea of Red:
- Selection of Lions song sheets so fans can join in the roars of The Lions. Songs include Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Delilah, Jerusalem, The Fields of Athenry, Flower of Scotland, Bread of Heaven and Sospan Fach and Wild Rover
- Spotlight on key figures on the tour
The App will evolve over the coming months as the Squad is announced and they head on Tour. All player stats and bios will be included as well the latest official news, along with other unique behind the scenes insights. The app is available on Windows Phone, Windows 8 and Android and iOS. It has been developed by Sequence, the Official App Developer of The British & Irish Lions.
Further information on the app can be found on The British & Irish Lions website.
Coming soon, The British & Irish Lions will announce how Microsoft’s technology has revolutionised player preparation and made this the first Lions Tour with technology at its core.