AT&T vs T-Mobile Speed test (iPhone vs HTC HD7)
I JUST visited the T-Mobile store at Microsoft Commons and saw the new HTC-HD7 and the Dell Venue Pro devices. I have to say, it blows anything I have seen or owned so far!
WOW! The HTC HD7 is slick but the screen quality on the Dell Venue Pro is a tad bit better. While the HD7 is really slim and sexy it feels a little delicate compared to the more rugged Dell Venue Pro. Neither of them feel as flimsy as the iPhone 4. The touch is super responsive on both the phones and the onscreen keyboard is mega AWESOME! It blows away the iPhone keyboard in terms of recognition and accuracy. I tried it both portrait and landscape modes and it’s great – really awesome! 16 GB internal memory is sufficient with Zune pass, you get a built in mobile song library. The Zune and Xbox integration features are my favorite by far. I also installed a few applications and the experience is fantastic! If you are like me and use One note for everything, this phone is a no brainer. The Office integration makes it worthwhile. I didn’t get a chance to test out the battery life on either phones but considering they have been around since 9:00 AM and people are constantly playing around with it…they still had a tad bit more than 1/2 battery/power left over. The HTC HD7 also comes with a kickstand in the back for you to enjoy reading/watching a movie (from your Netflix app). And, did I tell you the camera on both the phones are SWEET! 5MP with flash…and a dedicated button to take pics, so I don’t miss a moment when I am trying to unlock, click the camera button and wait for it to load. And, if you are a keyboard kinda guy – the Dell Venue Pro sports a slide out QWERTY Keyboard with real buttons. But trust me on the Onscreen Keyboard being SUPER AWESOME!
Here’s the kicker: When I tried downloading and installing the Yelp! application, I couldn’t believe how fast it was. That got me thinking about the speed. So I did a quick speed test on the AT&T iPhone and T-Mobile HTC-HD7 – It woke me up with a Jolt! The T-mobile network in and around Seattle is SUPER FAST! I mean, it blows the AT&T speed by leaps and bounds. Here are two screen shots to prove it…
HTC-HD7 (Please note that it uses the same site designed for iPhone speed testing to test and measure the speeds)
Here’s what I did: From an iPhone, open a browser and go to: http://i.dslr.net/iphone_speedtest.html – Select 3G and wait for the test to complete.
The results are staggeringly different. The iPhone that I used had a speed of 142 KBPS while the new T-Mobile HTC-HD7 offered, 2204 KBPS – THAT IS 2MB/S – FANTASTIC!
I am sure this test would give your different results depending on where you are. I also heard that the T-Mobile networks in Seattle just moved to Fiber Optics in the backend. But if you are in a major city, I don’t see it being as bad as AT&T. I was on T-Mobile before and had a pretty good coverage. I can’t say the same for AT&T…there are spots on 520, Capitol Hill where I know the call will get dropped for sure. (I can repro )…
That’s all I needed to convince me to move from AT&T to T-Mobile. If you need more reasons, here are a few:
- Monthly bill is cheaper than AT&T (Both individual and family plans)
- Better Coverage (I can vouch for that…)
- Sexier phone – Really! Go check one out before you say anything…(The HTC-HD7 stole my heart)
- Faster – I mean, way faster coverage. Look at the speeds – 142KBPS or 2204 KBPS – psshhht, that’s a no brainer. And, you can test it for yourself!
- You can hold the phone anyway you want!
Some of the things that I am not so happy with:
- There are not as many apps - yet! The iPhone (iTunes) and the Android store blows away the Windows Phone 7 numbers. But given the developer ecosystem for .NET – I am confident that this number will grow fast, very fast!
- There are some critical app’s that I rely on that are currently missing but for most part, I am covered.
- I’ve never used ‘Face Time’ but I have friends who swear by it! I don’t see that coming to WP7 right away but I am sure it’s going to come in the next version or perhaps even sooner.
So what are you waiting for? Go to a store near you and check one out! I am sure you will be as impressed as I am. I am ordering a Windows Phone 7 HTC-HD7 device…I think I’m in love, again!
Tweet me your thoughts, @mithund