My new Cingular 2125 SmartPhone
It has been one week from when I got my 2125 smart phone. It was my first smart phone and so far I like it. The few things/issues that have come up are
- It took 70 on the phone with Cingular to start service with them. I was a T-mobile customer but due to a dead spot on Capital Hill in Seattle I decided to change.
- I found that if you do not know what you are doing using a smart phone could be a huge pain. I came from using my T610 (which I hated) and a HP 4150 PPC
- Cingular's web site attempts to sell you "GoodLink" for ~$39.99 for unlimited data and a 99.99 startup fee when you only need MediaNet unlimited (about 19.99 and not setup fee)
- As soon I as find out if the WiFi hardware is included in the HTC tornado-like phone
- Setting up all my numbers as contacts in Outlook
Things that I like about my new phone
- EDGE is fast
- Access to Email all the time
- Access to Internet (www.drinkboy.com comes in handy (I hope to talk to the owner and get a Smart Phone UI soon))
- FeedME RSS reader
- About the same size as T610 (minus the hump)
- IE Card Cache (store cache on storage card): http://www.modaco.com/IMPORTANT_Pocket_IE_files_on_Storage_Card_Patch-t231188.html
- Store on email on storage card: http://www.modaco.com/Mail_on_Storage_Card-t117416.html
- Weather: http://www.connectedbits.com
- Traffic: http://research.microsoft.com/~dcr/work/zonezoom/smartphlow.htm
- HTC Signed RegEditor (important for those who have an App Locked phone): http://spaces.msn.com/members/xpworld/Blog/cns!1pwLVDaHQF6ltiEJslNeKRkA!198.entry
- compact framework: http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/e/8/fe8b935a-419e-48b1-8061-050211b250af/NETCFSetupv2.msi
- Cleaning up that start menu: http://www.modaco.com/how_to_rearrange_startmenu_in_wm5l-t233341.html
- Various other things: http://www.modaco.com/lofiversion/index.php/t229542.html
Yesterday I went to the Cingular store in Bellevue square Mall and asked when they would get a 2125 in stock and how much they cost (to see if they where cheaper). They said they did not have any till I told them I currently had T-Mobile. Then they had a few in stock. So if you want one you can trick them into telling you the truth.
When I asked Cingular for the Unlock code for the phone (I told them I travel International) they said I need to be a customer for 90 days before they will give me the unlock code.
I will add postings if I find new cool items (that are public) or have problems.