Create VMM template for Ubuntu 16.04
There seems to be a lot of guidance - but none of it was clear enough for me.. these are my quick notes - sorry for any typo's / mistakes
- Download Ubuntu 16.04 ISO
- Create & boot a Gen 2 VM using this ISO & a blank disk
- Follow wizard (force UEFI disks if using Gen2 VM, and I didn't encrypt the disks, and be sure to install the "OpenSSH Server") - I suggest a generic username & password - as the one used here appears to still be there after VMM template is deployed.
- After deployment, wait for VM to boot & get it's IP address by logging into the VM & running 'ifconfig'.
- From VMM server:
Cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\Virtual Machine Manager\agents\Linux" c:\program files\putty\PSCP.exe *.* username@VmIp:
- the ':' after the IP is important - specifies the location to copy the files to. without anything after the ':' it will copy it to the users' home folder
- Then from VM:
# Update with latest security & other updates sudo apt-get update && sudo apt upgrade # enable automatic upgrades sudo apt install unattended-upgrades cat > 20auto-upgrades << EOF APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1"; APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "1"; APT::Periodic::AutocleanInterval "7"; APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1"; EOF sudo mv ./20auto-upgrades /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ # install VMM agent chmod +x install sudo ./install ./scvmmguestagent.18.104.22.1685.x64.tar # UEFI fix (needed for Gen 2 VMs) sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --no-nvram --removable # install & enabled Hyper-V Integration components sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-tools-$(uname -r) linux-cloud-tools-$(uname -r) -y hv_fcopy_daemon hv_kvp_daemon hv_set_ifconfig hv_vss_daemon hv_get_dns_info # shutdown VM for VHD image. (this is also needed for IC's to start working) sudo shutdown -h now
- Next copy VHD to VMM library
- Set VHD OS type to Ubuntu 16.04 (64 bit)
- Create VM template
- Make sure secure boot is disabled & VM Generation matches that used above.
The above steps didn't work for me when using Ubuntu 17.04