Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 Released
The Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 provides storage (disks) over a TCP/IP network. It turns a computer running Windows Server into a storage device which provides shared block storage. You can use Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 to perform a variety of storage-related tasks, including the following:
- Provide shared storage for Hyper-V to enable high availability and live migration
- Consolidate storage for multiple application servers (i.e. Microsoft SQL Server or Hyper-V)
- Provide shared storage for applications hosted on a Windows failover cluster
- Enable diskless computers to boot remotely from a single operating system image using iSCSI
The Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 is an economical solution suited for a development or test environment and a small, medium, or branch office production environment. It enables storage consolidation and sharing on a Windows Server by implementing the iSCSI (Internet Small Computer Systems Interface) protocol, which supports SCSI-block access to a storage device over a TCP/IP network. For details on how to manage iSCSI targets, see
This download package includes the following items:
- iSCSItarget_public.msi: Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 service component for Windows Server 2008 R2.
- iSCSITargetClient_public.msi: Virtual Disk Service (VDS) provider, Volume Snapshot Service (VSS) provider, and high-performance computing (HPC) providers to support diskless boot in HPC clusters.
- iSCSITargetClient_public.msi: VDS provider, VSS provider, and HPC providers to support diskless boot in HPC clusters.
- iSCSItarget_Gstart_R2.doc: Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 Getting Started Guide
- iSCSI_33_relnotes.doc: Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 Release Notes
- Autorun.inf: Automatically starts Index.htm to display install options
- Index.html: Main menu page for installing software.
- Bkgd-page-servers-dynagrid.jpg: Used by Index.html.
- Copyright.jpg: Used by Index.html.
- Wsr2logo.bmp: Used by Index.html.