Four Full Days with Windows 8 – Kevin Isom’s Story
Having been on the road for a week participating in Windows 8 camps up and down the country it is often easy to get so caught up in the doing that you don’t take the time to reflect on the impact. For me the impact was really hit home by following Kevin Isom’s journey of discovery with Windows 8.
I was very impressed with how helpful Kevin was sharing his knowledge during the hackathon weekend and was exceptionally impressed with the game that he wrote from scratch over the weekend (it had my vote).
Twitter is often the best place to get instant and direct feedback below is a bunch of tweet’s that Kevin made as he jumped into Windows 8, read them in sequence as they tell quite a story.
22nd March – Day 1 – Sessions All Day
- Well after a day of Metro and WinRT I'm thinking that maybe @kpatton and @nzben and crew may be onto something with the metro buy in.
- @nzben @kpatton plus the fact that that the productivity is soooo much better than any other platform it cuts that initial investment down.
- One thing bugged me today during question time though, devs still seem to not get the whole don't do much, but do it awesome concept.
- The Wife asked me how the talks were, I said it was good enough to make me want to quit the job and write win8 apps, she was not impressed
23rd March – Day 2 Labs
- Awesome, I am not the only one doing the html labs. In fact since I have been in it has been about 50/50.
- Flagging the rest of the lab and exploring code. I like what I see so far #win8
24th March – Day 3 Hackathon
- Got laptop setup to dev on Windows 8. VS check, ruby check, node.js check...What? You didn't think I'd go the Microsoft Way did you? #hack8
- Got my first rough cut of a game up and running at #hack8
- Oh, well damn. I have intellisense over my YUI code in VS11...That was unexpectedly awesome. #hack8
- Switched to pure canvas in my game, and canvas in IE 10 feels wicked fast #winning #hack8
- If you are writing html5 games and wondering how you are going to monetize it, you are a fool if you don't make a windows 8 app.
- Just a note on Windows 8 and IE 10, this is the longest I've had a windows install and not installed FF or chrome. Using IE 10. #hack8
- So far I've learned there is a lot more to making a game than you realize when you play a game and think "I could make that" #hack8
25th March – Day 4 Hackathon
- It would seem that my theme for the weekend and writing a Win 8 HTML App is "it just works" #hack8
- Oh great, I'm going last....At least I'll be fresh on peoples minds. #hack8 #winalumia
- Okay, presentation done. Hope everybody liked my game. I liked making it #hack8 motivated to finish and get a game into the store.
- I like C# too. I really like the async stuff coming to C# #hack8
- ARGH!!!! Lost the vote at #hack8 by 1 vote. They shoulda had a runner up prize. Maybe next time.
26th March – Post Event
- A Weekend With Windows 8 - I attended a Windows 8 “Hackathon” this past weekend and would like share some... http://tmblr.co/Zw68YyIYkCZF
- @nigelsampson yeah, I am back in OS X today and it just doesn't feel as nice.
- Wow, so my game I started working on for #hack8 works in chrome and firefox. But MS just slays them in performance. Not even close.
- And why can @microsoft get audio in #html5 right when chrome and firefox can't? FireFox was limted and Chrome sucked for it.
I hope that the next chapter in this story is to see Kevin’s game finished and in the store.
Check out the other photos from the week…