Announcing Service Pack 1 for Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010
Welcome to TechEd Atlanta! For those of you unable to attend the event in person, we’d like to take a moment to introduce our Service Pack 1 release.
Service Pack 1 is on track for release at the end of June.
SP1 releases for both Office client suites and SharePoint server products will be made available. All language versions of SP1 will release simultaneously. Initially, Service Pack 1 will be offered as a manual download from the Download Center and from Microsoft Update, and no sooner than 90 days after release, will be made available as an Automatic Update.
SP1 will include many interesting changes. Across the client suites and server products, SP1 offers a sprinkling of improvements to make a strong 2010 release wave even stronger. During TechEd and beyond, teams on http://blogs.office.com will update their blogs with more specific details of 2010 Service Pack 1 contents.
There are far too many changes in SP1 to list here, but the list below is a sample of SP1 highlights to get things started. This is a list of things that you can do now that you couldn’t before, or things that are just better than they were with the original release:
- Outlook fixes an issue where “Snooze Time” would not reset between appointments.
- The default behavior for PowerPoint "Use Presenter View" option changed to display the slide show on the secondary monitor.
- Integrated community content in the Access Application Part Gallery.
- Better alignment between Project Server and SharePoint Server browser support.
- Improved backup / restore functionality for SharePoint Server
- The Word Web Application extends printing support to “Edit Mode.”
- Project Professional now synchronizes scheduled tasks with SharePoint task lists.
- Internet Explorer 9 “Native” support for Office Web Applications and SharePoint
- Office Web Applications Support for Chrome
- Inserting Charts into Excel Workbooks using Excel Web Application
- Support for searching PPSX files in Search Server
- Visio Fixes scaling issues and arrowhead rendering errors with SVG export
- Proofing Tools improve spelling suggestions in Canadian English, French, Swedish and European Portuguese.
- Outlook Web Application Attachment Preview (with Exchange Online only)
- Office client suites using “Add Remove Programs” Control Panel, building on our work from Office 2007 SP2
Each product in Office and each Server capability area will have changes in SP1. Specific changes will be detailed on TechNet and in KB Articles. On release day, we will publish all associated KB articles on this blog for reference.
As we have discussed in prior blog posts, SP1 will also roll-up our Public Update and Cumulative Update releases to date. SP1 will include all of these fixes, and represent a milestone in the support lifecycle of Office and SharePoint 2010 versions. Below is the list of fixes to date for 2010 products.
- Office 2010 April 2011 Cumulative Update (KB 2528533) – Released April 26, 2011
- Security and Non-Security Updates for April 2011 – Released April 12, 2011
- Security and Non-Security Updates for March 2011 – Released March 8, 2011
- Office 2010 February 2011 Cumulative Update (KB 2493730) – Released February 22, 2011
- Security and Non-Security Updates for February 2011 – Released February 8, 2011
- Non-Security Updates for January 2011 – Released January 11, 2011
- Office 2010 December 2010 Cumulative Update (KB 2479673) – Released December 14, 2010
- Security and Non-Security Updates for December 2010 – Released December 14, 2010
- Security and Non-Security Updates for November 2010 – Released November 9, 2010
- Office 2010 October 2010 Cumulative Update (KB 2449183) – Released October 26, 2010
- Security and Non-Security Updates for October 2010 – Released October 12, 2010
- Security and Non-Security Updates for September 2010 – Released September 14, 2010
- Office 2010 August 2010 Cumulative Update (KB 2396341) – Released August 31, 2010
- Security and Non-Security Updates for August 2010 – Released August 10, 2010
- Security and Non-Security Updates for July 2010 – Released July 13, 2010
- Office 2010 June 2010 Cumulative Update (KB 2259686) – Released June 29, 2010
TechEd Sessions for Office Client & SP1
For TechEd attendees, make sure you stop into the Office booth to discuss our SP1 changes. Office, SharePoint, Project, Visio will all be represented there and will be happy to talk to you about the release. SharePoint has no specific session content dedicated to SP1, but they will be available in the booth to answer questions. Be sure to visit the SharePoint Team Blog for SP1 details as well. You can find the location and other information about TechEd sessions in the official session schedule. Here’s where you can learn more about SP1 for the client suites:
3:30 PM - 5:30 PM: OSP371-WRK - Microsoft Office 2010 Deployment: Walk-through of an Office 2010 Deployment for IT Professionals
10:15 AM - 11:30 AM: OSP314 - Architecting Microsoft Office for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Deployments
1:30 PM - 3:30 PM: OSP371R-WRK - Microsoft Office 2010 Deployment: Walk-through of an Office 2010 Deployment for IT Professionals
8:30 AM - 9:45 AM: OSP315 - Managing Microsoft Office in an Interoperable and Multi-Device World