Microsoft Deployment Released
The first release of Microsoft Deployment is now available. This release marks the first in a series of three Microsoft Deployment releases planned between now and Summer 2008. It focuses on integration with new deployment features in Configuration Manager 2007 as well as features and guidance to support server deployment. Future updates to Microsoft Deployment will add further support for Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista SP1, and System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1 releases.
Microsoft Deployment delivers additional value to Configuration Manager 2007 users by adding complete integration into the Configuration Manager 2007 administrator console and task sequencer as a product extension. Microsoft Deployment combined with Configuration Manager 2007allows users to:
- Dynamically install packages
- Automatically determine user state store locations
- Back up computers and database settings
- Install to computers unknown to the Configuration Manager 2007 database
- Perform offline patching
- Install language packs offline and online
- Monitor deployments using an updated Operations Manager 2007 Management Pack
In addition to the new integration with Configuration Manager 2007, Microsoft Deployment also enhances the Lite Touch Installation for deploying desktops and servers. This release allows LTI to:
- Deploy pre-release versions of Windows Server 2008, including support for Server Core installation options.
- Automate server role definition using Server Manager.
- Configure disk and network interface cards (NICs), including static TCP/IP configuration.
- Migrate from LTI to Configuration Manager 2007.
- Create custom task sequences or modify task sequences based on new templates for:
- Client template: Windows Vista, Windows® XP
- Server template: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008
- Replace scenario template
- Invoke Web service calls from rules.
- Deploy operating system images using the new multicast feature in Windows Server 2008 Windows Deployment
Microsoft Deployment is available as a free download on the Microsoft Download Center.