Installing Zune 3.1 on Windows Server 2008 x64
Ok you are probably wondering why you would ever need Zune software on your Windows Server 2008 x64 machine….well if you are like me, my primary machine is my notebook and I run Windows Server 2008 x64 so I can have Hyper-V.
Anyway, Microsoft released a new version of the Zune software the other day and I wanted to install the latest version on my machine. Good – there is a native 64-bit version of Zune. Bad - the Zune installer blocks on Windows Server 2008 x64.
So how do you get around this issue? You can extract the installation package and install by hand…..that gets around the installation block on OS version, but there is a catch, you MUST install as the local administrator. No you cannot install with an account that is a member of the local administrators group.
Here is the process
1) Download the Zune 3.1 package from here. It is a 300+ MB package
2) Open a command prompt and launch the downloaded package with the /x option to extract it versus launch the installation.
3) Specify a folder to extract to, I used C:\TEMP\ZUNE31 as the directory
4) Go to C:\TEMP\ZUNE31\x64\PACKAGES
5) Right Click the ZUNE_X64.MSI and select Install
6) Answer the questions and it will install
Now go enjoy the music!