SP2010: SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 1 is out now!!!
The long awaited Service Pack 1 for SharePoint 2010 just came out. Apart from fixing multiple issues, it also brings along some completely new features. Beware that also Language Pack SP1 and Office Web Apps SP1 is out.
Here is a short list of the core improvements:
Overview of SharePoint Server 2010 SP1 improvements
Specifically, these are the key areas of improvement in SP1:
- Improved support for Internet Explorer 9.
- Recycle bin: Lets you restore a site collection or a web that was deleted.
- Remote Backup Systems (RBS) and shallow copy can decrease downtime and increase efficiency by moving pointers to databases instead of moving databases.
- You can see which folders are taking up valuable space with the improved Storage Management feature in site settings.
- Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2011.
- A more robust Search Host Distribution service that improves error recovery and performance during the search crawl.
- Adds backup and restore functionality to recover deleted site collections and webs.
The Microsoft support article can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460045
All SP1 packages are available for download from Microsoft Download Center. You can download and install the following service packs for each product that you have installed.
You can download all files needed from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510766
For SharePoint customers planning to deploy Service Pack 1, it is also recommended to install the June 2011 Cumulative Update for SharePoint.
SharePoint Server 2010 cumulative update package (SharePoint server-package): June 28, 2011