SP 2013: RMS Configuration not working: The required Active Directory Rights Management Service Client (MSIPC.DLL) is present but could not be configured properly. IRM will not work until the client is configured
Problem: Every time customer tried to configure SharePoint to connect to the AD RMS server this error would appear
We verified that these two files had proper rights, at first they did not:
- https://rmsserver/_wmcs/certification/certification.asmx and
- Log on to ADRMS server as an Administrator.
- Click Start, and then click Computer.
- Navigate to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\_wmcs\Certification.
- Right-click ServerCertification.asmx, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
- Click Advanced, click Edit, select the Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent check box, and then click OK two times.
- Click Edit, and then click Add.
- Click Object Types, select the Computers check box, and then click OK.
- Type YourSharePointServerName, and then click OK. (note: If your SharePoint service/application pool is a domain account you can, and should give it rights here as well. If you have multiple application pools, you might need to add them if they require RMS support)
- Click OK to close the ServerCertification.asmx Properties sheet.
By default the Read & execute and the Read permissions are configured for the SharePoint server computer account object and all other accounts inherited from the parent folder. (make sure to set Allow Inheritable Permissions on ServerCertification.asmx).
It's good practice to specifically give the SharePoint Application Pool accounts these rights as well.
- Click Start, and then click Command Prompt.
- Type iisreset, and then press ENTER.
We also verified that their User Profile Sync was actually syncing properly.
Still the same error.
Resolution: finally the customer manually configured their proxy settings on the WFE and Central Admin server using set proxy command