Code Pages, Unicode & Encodings
I hope to put some links to interesting posts about Code Pages/Unicode/Encodings here.
- Use Unicode! That solves lots of Encoding/Code Page problems :)
- Code Pages and Security Issues chats about some of the problems encountered when converting between encodings.
- Avoid treating binary data as a String addresses the common problem of pretending random bytes are valid Unicode (or other character strings)
- Best Fit in WideCharToMultiByte and System.Text.Encoding Should be Avoided
- Change to Unicode Encoding for Unicode 5.0 conformance discusses the U+FFFD replacement character behavior for unknown Unicode code points in UTF-8 and other Unicode encodings.
- .Net Framework Samples "Fallback Encoding Application Sample" demonstrates Encoding/Decoding and Fallbacks, demonstrating the various APIs provided. Some aspects could have been done more efficiently, but we wanted to demonstrate different techniques.
- CP 951 & HKSCS talks about special cases for HKSCS support.
- A History of Code Pages or What Made Code Page XXXX (or many other computer things) The Way It Is?
- Are we going to update or maintain the best fit &/or code page mappings? answers a common question.
Hope this is helpful. I'll post more links here when I add them