Silverlight 5: XNA Platformer running in Silverlight! Sweet!
This isn’t mentioned in the Silverlight 5 stuff, but wow for the XNA programmer this is a big WIN! The well known XNA Platformer ported to Silverlight 5, well this is just ducky!
Where is it? It is in the Silverlight 5 Toolkit! When you install the Toolkit, the samples are loaded as zip files into the path (might be different for your system):
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\Toolkit\dec11\Source
Unfortunately for most Windows systems (fortunate for security on the other hand) the zip files will not unzip into those folders, so you will need to copy the files to a folder under your user folder somewhere, your choice.
Once you unzip the files, make sure you unblock the zip files using properties and then if there is an Unblock button, if not you are in the clear, you will see the files. The path might look like:
- C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Silverlight\ToolKit\Sample source code\Xna\Silverlight Xna Platformer
- In the folder find the file with the extension *.sln, just like normal, and open with Visual Studio 2010
- Even if you know programming and maybe worked with Silverlight 4, you must watch this video:
- OR check my blog on the “enableGPUAcceleration” blog:
- Run the project and you should hear the sounds of the most excellent Silverlight XNA Platformer
Also check out these bloggers: