Report Builder of SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3 does not launch.
we have discovered a problem with Report Builder that ships with SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3.
If you installed SQL Server 2008 R2, have upgraded it to Service Pack 2 and then applied Service Pack 3, then Report Builder will fail to launch. It will raise the following error.
Below is a summary of the errors,
details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://.../ReportServer/ReportBuilder/ReportBuilder_3_0_0_0.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
Microsoft.ReportingServices.ComponentLibrary.Controls.dll, has a different computed hash than specified in manifest.
We are not planning to release a fix for this issue. Instead we recommend you implement one of the following workarounds.
- Client side workaround:
- Install and run Report Builder 3.0 of SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM from the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/en-pk/download/details.aspx?id=6116
- Or install and run Report Builder of SQL Server 2014 from the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42301
- Server side workaround:
- Uninstall Service Pack 3 then uninstall Service Pack 2 and then reinstall Service Pack 3.
We acknowledge the inconvenience. Apologies for this.
Also, we are in the process of:
- Updating the SQL Server Release Services Blog post announcing the release of SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3 to add a note to proactively inform customers.
- Updating the download page of SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3 to add a note to proactively inform customers.
- Creating and publishing quickly a dedicated KB article about this issue.
- Responding to the two MSConnect items that we are aware of about this issue: 1001935 and 1001699.
Senior Program Manager - SQL Server.