SQL Updates Newsletter – March 2016
Recent Releases and Announcements
- Cumulative update package 2 for SQL Server 2012 SP3
- Cumulative update package 11 for SQL Server 2012 SP2
- Announcing updates to the SQL Server Incremental Servicing Model (ISM)
- Announcing SQL Server Management Studio – March 2016 Release
- Announcing SQL Server on Linux
- Now available: SQL Server 2016 Release Candidate 1
- SQL Server 2016 offers new features in SQL Client Tools, including monthly updates
- SQL Server 2016 includes significant changes to the SQL Client Tools, including providing monthly updates and a single version of the tools that will work with all supported SQL Server versions on-premises or in a Virtual Machine, Azure SQL Database, and Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
- New SQL Server 2016, StorSimple hybrid offerings deliver nearly limitless capacity for managing data
- Hybrid solutions enable mission critical, recent, or latency-sensitive data to remain on-premises, while backups and archival data can seamlessly move to low cost and nearly limitless cloud storage.
- Announcing R Tools for Visual Studio
- Code complete: Microsoft announces SharePoint Server 2016 RTM
- Upgrade SQL Server 2005 before support ends on April 12
- Developer preview for Bing’s new search APIs now available
- Build 2016 announcements:
- … we made targeting every device and platform a lot easier by making Xamarin available to every Visual Studio developer for free, including the free Visual Studio Community Edition.
- To enable even more choice and flexibility for developers, we announced a commitment to open source Xamarin’s runtime, libraries and command line tools as part of the .NET Foundation
- We now have Azure IoT Starter Kits available for purchase. With development boards, actuators, sensors and easy user-friendly tutorials, now anyone with Windows or Linux experience – whether a student, inventor, device maker, hobbyist or developer – can quickly build IoT prototypes inexpensively.
- We also announced that applications can now communicate with the scalable NoSQL service DocumentDB, using existing Apache License MongoDB APIs and drivers
- We announced the general availability of Azure Service Fabric, our microservices application platform, to help developers design apps and services with always-on availability and scale.
- Azure SQL Database Threat Detection includes round-the-clock security
- Threat Detection easily tracks millions of transactions to find the needle-in-a-haystack, a malicious attacker. When it discovers suspicious activity, it will proactively notify you and enable you to respond and mitigate any potential damage.”
- Try out machine learning templates for real-world scenarios using SQL Server 2016 R Services
- Microsoft provides data science templates that address real-world scenarios, including online fraud detection, predictive maintenance and customer churn prediction
- Free Webinar: Building A Scalable Data Science Platform with R and Hadoop
- JSON support in SQL Server – Details, tips and trick
- Columnstore Index: A short video showcasing enhancements in SQL Server 2016
- Whitepaper SAP on SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014
- On Demand Webinar “What’s New for SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services” available now
Monthly Script Tips
- [Script Of Mar. 21] How to get SQL Server information by PowerShell
- [Script Of Mar. 02] How to find the created and last updated date of procedures in a SQL instance
- [Script Of Mar. 22] How to get SQL Server information by PowerShell
- [Script Of Mar. 03] How to compress rowstore tables in SQL Server
- Creating a SQL Server 2016 demo
Fany Carolina Vargas | SQL Dedicated Premier Field Engineer | Microsoft Services