(Cloud) Tip of the Day: Get improved backup and restore performance with Azure Backup Instant Restore capability
Azure Backup for virtual machines is getting an upgrade. The new instant restore feature helps you quickly restore virtual machines from the disk snapshots that are stored with the disks. This reduces the wait time for snapshots to copy to the vault before you can trigger a restore.
The new model for Instant Restore provides the following feature enhancements:
- Ability to use snapshots taken as part of a backup job that is available for recovery without waiting for data transfer to the vault to finish. It reduces the wait time for snapshots to copy to the vault before triggering restore.
- Reduces backup and restore times by retaining snapshots along with the disk(s) for seven days.
- Supports disk sizes up to 4 TB.
- Supports Standard SSD disks.
- Ability to use an unmanaged VM's original storage accounts (per disk), when restoring. This ability exists even when the VM has disks that are distributed across storage accounts. It speeds up restore operations for a wide variety of VM configurations.