Installing Windows from a USB Stick (and copying it to that stick from an ISO)
(Quick public dump so I can find the tool link again easily)
- Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool from here. (NB links to the page, not the EXE)
- Download ISO image from store or MSDN
- Run Win7 USB DVD Tool and point it to ISO and USB Stick
- Label stick
- Seriously Tristan, label the damn stick
- You know what happens when you don’t.
- Boot from stick, or run Setup from stick
Works for Windows 8, worked for Windows 8.1 Preview, no reason to think it won’t work for Windows 8.1 RTM, or Windows Server 2012 R2 etc.
Good if you’re planning a clean installation; otherwise, simply double-clicking the ISO is probably enough to do the upgrade as of Windows 8, which can mount ISOs and VHDs from a double-click.