Azure Internet of Things Edge Development Resources
Everyone’s talking about The Internet of Things (IoT)
Some businesses and consumers have already begun embracing it wholeheartedly. Others want to understand it better than they do. And many find the whole idea a bit overwhelming and aren’t sure where to start. Here a typically overview of IOT solution and technologies which could be used to implement a suitable solution.
The Microsoft IOT Team are trying to bring some clarity with a new article, “IoT: It’s Easier Than You Might Think,” where Microsoft IOT team to cut through the hype around IoT. Read the full article for more on how to get started with IoT.
- Explains how IoT can equip organisations to make better business decisions.
- Lays out a series of proven steps to help you easily get started with IoT.
- Shares best practices to keep your IoT journey on the right path for long-term success.
Bringing IoT into your curriculum and projects doesn’t have to be difficult, and it certainly doesn’t have to happen all at once!
We recently worked with the University of Oxford on the following course https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/data-science-for-the-internet-of-things-iot
Overview Data Science for the Internet of Things (IoT)
This unique course aims to create a new breed of engineer - those with a background in IoT and knowledge of machine learning, AI, cloud and robotics.
The Data Science for IoT course aims to equip you with the skills to solve problems, providing you with a toolkit (code) and templates. It's for developers who want to be data scientists with an emphasis on IoT.
The course explores problem solving for IoT analytics via the following topics:
- Concepts: principles/foundations
- Product development for IoT (with an emphasis on analytics)
- Data science
- Artificial intelligence (AI)
- TensorFlow and Keras
- Deploying AI models to scale (e.g. via Kubernetes)
- IoT Verticals
- Time series
- Deep learning
- Real time including LSTMs and streaming
- NoSQL databases for IoT
- IoT data visualization
- Industrial IoT
- Robotics and drones
- Edge analytics
- Complex event processing
- Innovation in IoT
- Methodology – putting it all together
About the course and its aims:
- The course analyses problem solving for IoT analytics.
- The unique considerations for IoT data (e.g. time series data) are investigated.
- The course covers programming so participants will need to be familiar with some programming languages - but we do not expect familiarity in a specific language. The primary programming language of the course is Python (specifically TensorFlow and Keras).
- We use Spark for big data.
- The course needs an understanding of maths. We cover maths and statistics foundations as needed.
- Where possible, we use IoT datasets. We cover handling large-scale IoT datasets.
- We focus on skills based/commercial products. This is not an academic course.
- The course also includes an industry programme. The industry programme will be based on use cases incorporating IoT analytics methodology.
Looking for IOT resources my colleague Jon Gallant has created this collection of resources for Azure IoT Edge development. which is maintained at https://github.com/jonbgallant/azure-iot-edge-dev
- Azure IoT Edge Official Docs
- Azure IoT Edge Configuration - An explanation of the runtime and module config files required for Azure IoT Edge development.
- Azure IoT Edge Runtime (iotedgectl) Docs
- Azure IoT Edge on Raspberry Pi - Deploy Azure IoT Edge to Raspberry Pi
- Azure IoT Edge from Azure Container Registry - Run Azure IoT Edge from your own Azure Container Registry.
- Azure IoT Edge - How to Set Force No Passwords in Config
- Working with IoT Edge in F#
- Azure IoT Edge Dev Tool - The Azure IoT Edge Dev Tool greatly simplifies your Azure IoT Edge development process. It has everything you need to get started and helps with your day-to-day IoT Edge development.
- Azure IoT Edge VS Code Extension
- Easily Create IoT Edge custom modules with Visual Studio Code
- Azure IoT Edge Module Twin Update VSTS Task - Use this task to trigger an update the module config of your IoT Edge devices.
- Channel 9 IOT Show https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Internet-of-Things-Show
- Azure IoT Edge Dev Tool: Introduction
- Enable edge intelligence with Azure IoT Edge (Olivier Bloch)
- Enable edge intelligence with Azure IoT Edge (Arjmand Samuel)
- UDP - Build Azure IoT Edge solutions with UDP connectivity. Creates an UDP endpoint and routes messages to the EdgeHub.
- OPC-UA Client - Template for creating OPC-UA client modules.
- Monitoring Module - If you integrate this module in your EdgeHub deployment you can basically monitor all traffic between modules
- Azure IoT REST - Help with the Azure IoT REST APIs
To learn more about how IoT, visit www.InternetofYourThings.com.