DevOps 101 – Accelerate your application delivery lifecycle
In 2009, a group of engineers began the conversation about how to forge better collaboration between the development teams that build software and the operations teams that run the software. This conversation quickly spawned the practices of "DevOps".
DevOps quickly evolved Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) and Agile methodologies to address the needs of the digital business including:
1. The critical importance of transparency, communication and collaboration between development and operations teams
2. The inclusion of the project’s business owner and other critical groups such as security (DevOpsSec), networking, compliance in the discussion
Practicing DevOps can help teams respond faster together to competitive pressures by replacing error prone manual processes with automation for improved traceability and repeatable workflows.
Here some of the main benefits to effective DevOps
2. Cost savings Enabler
3. Provide the best end solution with a combination of on-premises and cloud resources,
4. Provide a tightly integrated open source tooling and services thus reducing costs.
5. Minimize risk and facilitate much needed self-service of resources while at the same time reduce security risks across hybrid environments.
6. Improve quality practices helps to identify defects early in the development cycle, which reduces the cost of fixing them.
Data Insights & Predicative Planning
Rich data obtained through effective instrumentation provides insight into performance issues and user behavior to guide future priorities and investments.
Are you ready for a journey?
DevOps should be considered a journey, not a destination. It should be implemented incrementally through appropriately scoped projects, from which to demonstrate success, learn, and evolve.
Collaborating to deliver faster
Do your customers want
1. More from your app?
2. Do they want it now?
3. Do you know how to to deliver it?
4. Where to deliver it from? Whether you work in the cloud, on-premises, or in between.
5. On any platform? Whether you use iOS, Android, Java, Linux or Windows,
Real-time analytics - Learn from your customers
Track application health alongside usage metrics and application crash analytics. Get powerful dashboards where you can filter for different views and levels of detail—from segmenting data to drilling down to an event.
Tools for your entire team
Plan and monitor all your team’s work—including operational issues—using built-in Kanban boards. Track work in progress to ensure you have a streamlined channel from idea to delivery.
Automated release pipelines
From continuous integration to continuous delivery, create automated builds and repeatable workflows to keep code quality, get development to match production, and deploy seamlessly. Use the built- in version control or build system, or use your own and easily integrate releasing applications to production and operations faster, more often, and with less risk. Audit progress of your application at every stage of the release pipeline with full traceability.
1. Deliver better quality software faster and with better compliance
2. Drive continuous improvement and adjustments earlier and more economically
3. Increase transparency and collaboration among stakeholders involved in delivering and operating software
4. Control costs and utilize provisioned resources more effectively while minimizing security risks
5. Plug and play well with many of your existing DevOps investments, including investments in open source
Free Resources for DevOps
Download the Forrester Infrastructure as a Code WhitePaper https://aka.ms/iac_tlp
Get Access to DevOps Training on Microsoft Virtual Academy https://aka.ms/devopsmva
DevOps Maturity Self Assessment http://devopsassessment.azurewebsites.net
Learn more about DevOps buy getting hands with PartsUnlimited Scenarios
Azure Website + SQL Azure DB
Linux, Java, Tomcat, MonogoDB application with a Chef Recipe