Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Beta
Now available for download from the connect site is the beta of the next version of Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.
What’s new in Security Essentials 2.0 Beta:
- Windows Firewall integration – Microsoft Security Essentials will ask if you would like to turn the Windows Firewall on or off during installation.
- Enhanced protection while browsing the Internet – Microsoft Security Essentials now integrates with Internet Explorer to provide additional protection against web-based threats.
- New protection engine – The updated, based on Forefront, anti-malware engine offers enhanced detection and cleanup capabilities with better performance.
- Network inspection system – Protection against network-based exploits.
Click here to visit the Microsoft Connect page to register for the Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 beta.
Looking for a comparison to other Anti-Virus Software, this is based on the current version 1.0
AV-Test Product Review and Certification Report - 2010/Q2
During the 2nd quarter of 2010 we have tested 19 security products in the areas protection, repair and usability. The "Protection" covers static and dynamic malware detection, including real-world 0-Day attack testing. In case of "Repair", we check the system disinfection and rootkit removal in detail. The "Usability" testing includes the system slow-down caused by the tools and the number of false positives. A product has to reach at least 12 points total in order to receive a certification. 13 products have fulfilled our requirements and received an AV-Test certificate.
The test reports can be found here: - http://www.av-test.org/certifications
Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials
Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7
- For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
- 140 MB of available hard disk space.
- An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Internet Browser:
- Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
- Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7.
Not familiar with Security Essentials – Check out my previous post at http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2010/08/30/microsoft-security-essentials.aspx.