Improve Windows Update Performance for New Windows Embedded Image Deployments
Occasionally, the Windows Update (WU) process can take significantly longer than expected for new image deployments on Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1, POSReady7, and ThinPC. To help speed up this process, you need to install three specific KB packages, and you must stop the Windows Update service before each installation. The packages are:
- Open an administrator command prompt. Click the Start menu, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
- Stop the Windows Update service using the net stop wuauserv
- After the service stops, immediately install a KB package. This will automatically restart the WU service.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all three packages listed above are installed.
- Close the Command Prompt window, and run Windows Update from within Control Panel to check for any additional updates.