Windows® Marketplace for Mobile Developer Strategy Announced!
When Windows® Marketplace for Mobile was originally announced on February 16th, we indicated that additional information would be available soon. Well, the waiting is over. Today, Microsoft announced the developer strategy for the next generation of Windows® Phones, which includes a number of key benefits for developers. In our previous post, we discussed how Marketplace addresses the challenges of distribution and monetization for developers with an easily discovered, on-device application that can distribute your applications to millions of users. Today’s announcement builds upon these benefits by providing developers with additional insights into how they will be able to participate. Let’s look at some of the specifics in greater detail.
What is the revenue and distribution opportunity for developers?
- Developers will earn 70% of the revenue generated from sales of their applications.
- Applications can be priced and sold in 29 markets using targeted pricing strategies to maximize revenues. This is a great opportunity to tap into a broad international customer base.
- Applications can also be distributed through the Marketplace for free.
Tell me more about how to participate…
- In the spring, we will release the registration process for you to sign up. Application submissions will be accepted beginning this summer.
- Developers will be able to submit up to 5 applications to the Marketplace for the annual registration price of $99. Each additional application within the annual period will have a cost of $99.
- For students enrolled in the DreamSpark program, the registration fee will be waived.
How do I get my applications into the Marketplace?
- We want developers to focus on their core competency of developing innovative applications. At the same time we will work with developers to ensure that their applications run optimally on Windows phones. We will accomplish this by running a rigorous certification and testing process before applications go to market.
- Developers will be able to see detailed feedback during and after the certification process of their applications on the Windows Marketplace for Mobile developer portal.
What do I need to get started?
- You can utilize familiar tools and technologies like Visual Studio and the .NET Compact Framework 3.5 to build great applications.
- Get the Windows Mobile 6 SDK and everything you need to get started at https://developer.windowsmobile.com
As I mentioned, you will have access to all details once the registration doors open in the spring. Subsequently you will be able to start submitting applications later this summer. For now, check out the press release, and watch this interview with Marketplace Product Manager, Inigo Lopez.
Please feel free to send us your questions or feedback. We look forward to hearing from you!