Walkthrough Exchange 2010 RC Edge Role and Forefront Protection 2010 Beta for Exchange installation on Forefront TMG 2010 RC
As we now have Exchange 2010 RC available for download, many of you that are testing Forefront TMG 2010 RC are asking if you can test the Email Protection feature using Exchange 2010. If you read the paper Understanding E-Mail Protection on Forefront TMG published at Tales from the Edge, you will see that one of the questions in the Q&A is:
Question 12) Which versions of Exchange do you support?
Answer: We support Exchange Edge 2007 SP2 and Exchange Edge 2010.
With that you know that it is supported, but the opening question is: how to install Exchange 2010 Edge role and Forefront Protection 2010 on top of an existing Forefront TMG 2010 RC installation? This is exactly the goal of this post; guide you through the steps to perform this installation. This post is assuming that TMG 2010 RC is running on Windows Server 2008 R2.
2. Preparing the Environment for Exchange 2010
Before install Exchange 2010 RC you should install a series of prerequisites and the best way to do this is by following the guidelines from Exchange 2010 Prerequisites document, under the section Install the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system prerequisites. After complete this process, than you can run the Exchange 2010 setup and choose the following options:
1. Select Install Microsoft Exchange as shown below:
Figure 1 – Selecting Exchange setup option.
2. Click Next in the Introduction page. Read the license agreement, select I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next to continue.
3. Select Yes in the Error Reporting page and click Next.
4. Select Custom Exchange Server Installation as shown below and click Next to proceed:
Figure 2 – Selecting Custom installation.
5. Select Edge Transport Role in the Server Role selection as shown below and click Next to continue:
Figure 3 – Selecting Edge Transport Role.
6. Chose the appropriated option for the CEIP and click Next to continue.
7. Wait until the readiness check finishes and when your window appears as shown below click Install to proceed:
Figure 4 – Click Install to proceed.
8. When the setup finishes as shown in the figure below, uncheck the option Finalize Installation using the Microsoft Exchange Console andclick Finish button to conclude the process.
Figure 5 – Setup finished.
9. On Exchange Setup window, click step 5 – Get Critical update for Microsoft Exchange.
10. Install any critical update that it might have and close the Exchange Setup window.
At this point you already have Exchange 2010 Edge Role installed on your system; next step is to install Forefront Security 2010 for Exchange on TMG.
3. Running Exchange Installation via TMG 2010 Setup
Follow the steps below to install Forefront Security 2010 for Exchange from the TMG setup:
1. Execute the autorun.hta file and choose the option to Install Microsoft Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server:
Figure 6 – Choose the option to install Forefront Security 2010 for Exchange.
2. Select to the terms of the license agreement and privacy statement and click Next.
3. You should receive a notification saying that Exchange Transport service will be restarted. Click Next to proceed.
4. Confirm the installation folders (or change according to your preference) and click Next.
5. Click Next on the Proxy configuration.
6. Leave the Enable antispam now option selected as shown in Figure below and click Next to proceed:
Figure 7 – Enabling Antispam.
7. Leave the Enable antispam now option selected as shown in Figure below and click Next to proceed:
8. Chose the appropriated option for the CEIP and click Next to continue.
9. Review all your selections in the Confirm Settings page as shown below and click Next to continue:
Figure 8 – Reviewing installation settings.
10. While the installing is happening you will also see the window below saying that the setup is configuring the product and services:
Figure 9 – Configuring product and services setup window.
11. After that you should see the last setup window saying that the installation finished successfully as shown below:
Figure 10 – Reviewing installation results.
12. Click Finish button to finish the setup.
13. Click Exit to close the TMG Setup window.
Now you have both consoles available: Exchange and Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange as shown below:
Figure 11 – FSE and Exchange console available after finishing this procedure.
Note: Something to keep in mind: changes that you perform on TMG 2010 regarding Email Protection will be applied to Exchange Edge and FSE according to the option that you choose. Read the paper Understanding E-Mail Protection on Forefront TMG published at Tales from the Edge for more information on what feature each product owns.
In this post you learned how to install Exchage 2010 Edge Role and Forefront Protection 2010 Beta for Exchange on top of an existing Forefront TMG 2010 RC installation. Now that the setup is done, use the Configuring protection from e-mail-based threats article to configure this feature.