Quickstart: Install the Azure ATP sensor
In this quickstart, you'll install the Azure ATP sensor on a domain controller. If you prefer a silent installation, see the Silent installation article.
- An Azure ATP instance that's connected to Active Directory.
- A downloaded copy of your ATP sensor setup package and the access key.
- Make sure Microsoft .Net Framework 4.7 is installed on the machine. If .Net Framework 4.7 isn't installed, the Azure ATP sensor setup package installs it, which may require a reboot of the server.
Install the sensor
Perform the following steps on the domain controller.
Verify the machine has connectivity to the relevant Azure ATP cloud service endpoint(s):
Extract the installation files from the zip file. Installing directly from the zip file will fail.
Run Azure ATP sensor setup.exe and follow the setup wizard.
On the Welcome page, select your language and click Next.
The installation wizard automatically checks if the server is a domain controller or a dedicated server. If it's a domain controller, the Azure ATP sensor is installed. If it's a dedicated server, the Azure ATP standalone sensor is installed.
For example, for an Azure ATP sensor, the following screen is displayed to let you know that an Azure ATP sensor is installed on your dedicated server:
A warning is issued if the domain controller or dedicated server does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for the installation. The warning doesn't prevent you from clicking Next, and proceeding with installation. It can still be the right option for installation of Azure ATP in a small lab test environment where less room for data storage is required. For production environments, it is highly recommended to work with Azure ATP's capacity planning guide to make sure your domain controllers or dedicated servers meet the necessary requirements.
Under Configure the sensor, enter the installation path and the access key that you copied from the previous step, based on your environment:
Installation Path: The location where the Azure ATP sensor is installed. By default the path is %programfiles%\Azure Advanced Threat Protection sensor. Leave the default value.
Access key: Retrieved from the Azure ATP portal in the previous step.
Click Install. The following components are installed and configured during the installation of the Azure ATP sensor:
KB 3047154 (for Windows Server 2012 R2 only)
- Do not install KB 3047154 on a virtualization host (the host that is running the virtualization, it is fine to run it on a virtual machine). This may cause port mirroring to stop working properly.
- If Wireshark is installed on the ATP sensor machine, after you run Wireshark you need to restart the ATP sensor, because it uses the same drivers.
Azure ATP sensor service and Azure ATP sensor updater service
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable
Join the Community
Have more questions, or an interest in discussing Azure ATP and related security with others? Join the Azure ATP Community today!
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.